Library Users Forum Nov 08
Posted by gazjjohnson on 6 November, 2008
Just back from LUF which was more lively than the last one, with the Library reps asking a fair few questions of Louise and the rest of PMG. Sadly non of my reps made it again, but I guess they must be too busy teaching/researching. Bit of a shame as there were a fair few developments that I think they would have been interested to hear. Among them were:
- We went through the library strategy, new resources and materials budget for 08/9. Dollar/Euro look like they’re hitting our sector a bit, but no journal cuts needed and book budgets glowing and healthy.
- Plenty of encouragement to spend the book budget to ensure student satisfaction levels are met as well as continuing development of the research collections. Something I know I keep reminding my reps about, and when I get a moment I’ll be going through all the chemistry module books to see if we’re missing anything!
- A brief resume of the awards the DWL’s won, and is nominated for. I wonder if we’ll be getting a big trophy cabinet?
- We’ve had a 50% increase in foot traffic to the DWL since we opened (compared to last year)
- 14th Janurary we’ve a Sepcial Collection event, celebrating our collections as well as illustrating what academics can and are doing with them.
- Quite a bit of discussion on open access and pay-up front model of publication and what the University is doing about this.
- A good bit on how much VFM our document supply costs are, especially in contrast to the other nearby institutions.
- The LIBX toolbar will be launched in two weeks time (it’s in beta testing right now). I hadn’t had a chance to try this out myself yet (way too much teaching/prep) but it looks very promising in giving desk top access to the library key pages as well as easing EZProxy access to resources without going through the A-Z.list page.
- News about Hywel and Anne moving on was also announced.
Now if I can just work out why we’re a blended library not a hybrid one I’ll be a happy man…