IEEE User Group
Posted by selinalock on 14 April, 2011
IEEE User Group, Brunel University, 7th April 2011
Useful event as it gave me a chance to find out about the new features that have been added to IEEE Xplore recently and their plans for the future. It was useful to chat to other IEEE users from the academic and corporate world. The main information and tips I picked up from the day were:
Value of IEEE Content – Eva Veloso
- New eBook package of 400 plus titles, which can be bought as an ongoing subscription or with perpetual access.
- Book chapters will now appear when searching IEEE Xplore.
- A range of books, from textbooks to handbooks to reference works.
- The package will allow you to download chapter PDFs for use on any device.
- Client Services Portal: includes tips sheets, tutorials, presentations and ways to promote your IEEE subscription.
- eLearning courses – subscription package or buy outright to use in your own VLE. Mainly areas of professional development.
Quick Tips on IEEE Xplore – Elka Sloan
- Advanced search features include the option to restrict by field, to do Boolean searching, can add up to 15 search boxes and can use limits.
- Personalisation features by setting up a free IEEE Xplore account – search alerts, TOC alerts, set preferences e.g. for reference management software.
- 10 concurrent user limit, but extra access can be requested for training sessions.
- Automatically searches for plurals/singular and British/American spellings.
- New conferences have more multimedia content – allows you to download a zip file of any extra content provided by the author.
- Command search – allows for very complex search strategies and includes the operator NEAR.
- Can request specific Webex tutorials to be created for our needs.
- Added a browse by subject option – good for students who are new to a topic.
- Can restrict the search to subscribed content only – stops results showing books/journals the university does not have access to.
- Added Most Popular feature – shows the top searches in the last 30 days. Hoping to add what’s popular in your institution feature in future.
- AbstractPlus includes INSPEC controlled vocabulary, author keywords and citations to other IEEE Xplore content.
- Publication quick search – good t use when you only have a partial reference.
- Spectrum Online – good for multimedia content (which you cannot find when searching) and for industry updates.
- No author or institutional index control – so be sure to check for name variations. They are working with other people to look at author/researcherID standards.
IEEE Xplore Update – Prakash Bellur
- Search facets introduced to help users narrow their searches.
- XML based search API – allows integration with our new search software Summon.
- IEEE Mobile – allows you to search IEEE Xplore & email results to a desktop for full text access.
- Working to improve OpenURL linking.
- Looking at introducing a metadata standard for conferences – would make it much easier for institutions to link to & access full text.
- New feature for 2011:
- Cited by
- New IEEE index terms
- Sort results by citation count
- Combined search option
- Group/User usage stats
- Improve mobile access
- Interactive HTML full text/next gen research article – pilot available now (extra feature, will not replace PDF version!).